Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day Three


Day three.

Thank heaven above! The rain who's sound plagued my sleep all through the night ceased before I set out this morning. For good measure, though, I brought my umbrella with me.

I stopped by Ms. Granite's Bakery again. She claimed the rats were becoming bolder, now they were no longer in her roof, but in her attic. While I doubted there was much I could do to quell the matter, I had a peek into the attic to see if I could find any of the beastly creatures. All I could find were sacks of flower and grain, no rat droppings or nests in sight.

One curious thing which stood out to me, however, were scratch marks on the walls. Upon closer inspection, I saw that they were each about half an inch deep. Curious...

"My dear lady, are you quite sure it is rats who are causing such a din?" I asked her.
"Indeed I am, Mr. Marker. I have had experience with the little devils," she replied. "Quite loud, they are."
"Well," I said. "I looked and found no sign of vermin of any kind. I did, however, find what I believe to be the claw marks of a large bear."

I had a guilty laugh at her shocked reaction before I calmed her, saying: "Fear not, my dear lady. If anything, they are scratch marks left from crates being jostled about. If, however, one night you should hear a growl, I would suggest you leave immediately, and go to the hunting club. I am confident that someone there will be more than happy to take care of the problem."

Today's workhouse was Illidge House. By far the most glorious of the ones I have so far seen, this one looked like a mansion from the outside. The inside was like a mansion as well. A very dirty mansion. While the entrance hall had wooden floors, the work areas' were made of solid stone. The ventilation left a bit to be desired, but It might be a worthy investment to improve it, considering how wonderful the rest is.

While the manager was not able to see me on account of a bad cold, the head governess took me around the premises, giving me the history of the building. What I heard was so hopelessly dull that I will not even begin to describe it.

For the first time, I saw where the children live. Quite cozy indeed. A little boy, not older than ten, came up to me. He seemed to want to say something to me.

"Yes, lad?" I said.
"Sorry sir. Are you going to close us down?" he said.
"No, no, lad," I shook my head. "But hopefully, I'll be able to get you some more work and better living conditions."

I have submitted my report to M&P. Yesterday's did not seem to go over so well with them, so I hope this one will suit their fancy more.

Oh, one last thing. I saw that tall gentleman again today. He was talking to a man I recognised outside the pub I usually go to. This particular man, I have never spoken to, though I know he is a tall man, certainly taller than myself. The man in black, however, was about a head taller than he! How curious indeed.

Call me a coward, but I did not go to the pub tonight. That man made me too nervous. I will go tomorrow night, when, hopefully, he will not be there. 

J.T. Marker

No comments:

Post a Comment